What should you wear ? What should you bring to a shoot ?
Following are guidelines intended to help you look great in your photos. In planning what to wear and/or bring to a shoot please keep in mind it’s better to have people comment about how YOU look than comment about what you’re wearing, your jewelry, or makeup.
- Yes to solid colors. No to polka dots, stripes, floral prints, or patterns.
- Clothing that fits you properly. Tight fitting clothing can be flattering for some, but it doesn’t photograph well on everyone.
- No trendy or fashion oriented outfits.
- A good mix of colors and styles.
- Limited, simple jewelry (e.g., plain studs, small hoops, simple necklace, or choker).
- Unless otherwise discussed, it’s unlikely your shoes will appear in any photos.
- Yes to warm, earthy tones. Generally, no to white and light pastel colors.
- If you bring more than one top, it’s best to have an assortment of necklines.
- Tops should have shoulders – no sleeveless, spaghetti straps, or tank tops.
- Shirts & sweaters with texture (e.g., knit or ribbed material) are good.
You May Wish To Consider Wearing and/or Bringing
- Well fitting tight jeans or denim shorts
- Shorts, short-shorts, or micro shorts
- Mini-dress or mini-skirt
- Sun dress
- Sport/fitness tops (including a sports bra) & bottoms
- Solid black and/or white socks (plus a fun solid color)
- Black, white, and/or flesh-toned panties (including a thong)
- Black, white, flesh-toned, and/or strapless bras
- Phone & Earbuds
- A favorite, fun hat (or two)
Don’t Forget To Bring
- Hair care products (e.g., your brush or comb)
- Makeup kit
One Final Thought
If you have a great idea for an item you do not own, avoid running out and buying something you may never wear again. If you must have it, consider …
- borrowing it,
- buying and returning after the shoot, or
- buying from a discount store (e.g., Target).
Last updated 15-Dec-2021.